Departing from CLASSE
CLASSE supervisors and project managers should work with their departing team members (employees) to identify all the computers, computer files, and emails that need to be retrieved and preserved. Completing the following checklist will help to ensure the continuity of critical digital information. Please begin this process at least 2 weeks
before your departure. This is likely to be a labor intensive process, so reviewing this checklist in advance may help you plan your activities as you prepare to leave.
Unless otherwise requested by the employee or their supervisor, CLASSE accounts will be set to expire 6 months after the employee's departure.
Supervisors or project managers should:
- Collect all laptops in their employee's possession.
- Verify which desktop computers are used by their employee.
Before being re-allocated to a different employee, these laptops and desktops should be re-imaged by CLASSE-IT (please schedule via a ServiceRequest
Make sure useful files are stored centrally:
- The employee's work-related files should be shared with their supervisor or project manager via \\samba\user, \\samba\tem, \\samba\tem2, dedicated CLASSE project space, or Cornell Box. Please note that files on \\samba\tem or \\samba\tem2 may be deleted after 14 days.
- Personal files should be removed.
- Remember: desktops and laptops are not backed up. Once its disk has been wiped and the computer has been redeployed for someone else, any data that was left on it is gone forever.
Email and other Cornell-provided IT services
Preserving business data and institutional knowledge
For business continuity, employees should identify business data and institutional knowledge contained in work-related emails:
- Ideally, employees would transfer this information and convert it to documentation in an appropriate system such as e-log, the wiki or other documentation system.
- Attachments should be "Saved As" to files and treated as "Computer Files" above.
- Export important emails to files using your mail reader's "Save As" function.
- Forward important work related e-mails to your supervisor or project manager.
Transitioning away from Cornell-provided IT services
Please refer to this helpful guide from CIT