Windows 7 Network Termination on 07-Jan-2020
Microsoft has set an end-of-life date for Windows 7 of 14-Jan-2020. After this date, no security updates for Windows 7 will be released, and, as a result, all network-connected Windows 7 computers will be immediately vulnerable to compromise. Therefore, one week before the end-of-life date, on 07-Jan-2020, we will disable network connectivity for all CLASSE-managed Windows 7 end-user computers (i.e., desktops and laptops that you log into with your CLASSE credentials).
Research systems on private networks and personal systems on LNS Protected running Windows 7 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If you have a CLASSE-managed Windows 7 computer, and you have not yet been contacted about migrating to Windows 10, please submit a ServiceRequest
at your earliest convenience to start the process. Available options for existing Windows 7 computers are:
- Re-image to Windows 10: This option is only available for computers deployed in 2016 or later.
- Replace computer with Windows 10 computer: If you have a Windows 7 computer deployed in 2015 or earlier, we can replace it with a new Windows 10 computer.
- Change OS to Scientific Linux 7 (SL7): See above. This option is available to most computers regardless of age. For computers deployed in 2012 or later, we can usually migrate to SL7 without any additional upgrades. Older computers may require a RAM upgrade to at least 8GB, and often will get additional performance boost by installing an SSD.
- Decommission the computer: If the computer will not be needed after January 2020, it can be left in place, and we will schedule a removal.
Users will need to be present when a Windows 10 upgrade begins and/or when a new system is deployed.
CHESS-DAQ Archive: Tuesday, 24-Dec-2019 @ 10:00 AM
On Tuesday, 24-Dec-2019, starting at 10:00 AM, the main CHESS-DAQ filesystems will become read-only. A full archive of each CHESS-DAQ filesystem will be written to tape over the winter break, and in January 2020, the filesystems will be rotated and set up for the 2020-1 run. Please submit a ServiceRequest
if there is any data from the 2019-1 run that you would like to remain on disk.
Computer Care Over Winter Break
As in recent years, we are making the following recommendations for the winter break from 22-Dec-2018 through 01-Jan-2019:
- If you will be leaving for the holidays and have a desktop computer used only by yourself, please do a "graceful shutdown" of your computer before you leave.
- If you expect to use your desktop computer remotely, or if you will be away for only a few days, please turn off only your computer's display; do not turn off the computer itself. Leaving your computer powered on allows software patches and security updates to be installed automatically.
If you have any questions about these recommendations, please feel free to submit a ServiceRequest
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.