February 14, 2010.
CLASSE Domain server patching
There will be some down time on the CLASSE Domain Controllers this Tuesday, Feb 15th starting at 10AM to apply patches.
Anticipated user impact: The Windows Terminal Server used to provide remote access to Outlook will be restarted some time between 10 and 11 AM. We're working on a popup notice, but aren't sure it if works yet. Outlook is supposed to automatically save editing sessions. You will have to reconnect to the Terminal Server after the reboot. Otherwise, the Domain Contoller reboots should not be noticeable.
Windows Software Patches - Firefox and Adobe Reader updates
Firefox and Adobe updates are scheduled to start being pushed on Tuesday, Feb 15th at 10AM. You will be prompted to close Firefox and Adobe Reader.
As an enterprise-class distribution focusing on stability and security, Scientific Linux provides security updates which are applied on a nightly basis. For a list of updated packages, please see the Scientific-Linux-Errata announcement list (http://listserv.fnal.gov/archives/scientific-linux-errata.html
), or appropriate errata repositories.
For more information on LEPP's linux support, please see https://wiki.lepp.cornell.edu/lepp/bin/view/Computing/LinuxSupport
Exchange 2010 is coming!
CIT is planning to start upgrading the central Cornell mail servers from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 in late March. The major visible improvement will be full functionality in the Web interface. More details will be available as the migration date approaches.
New Computer Requests
- If you need a new computer for some task, please have your supervisor fill out this form: https://wiki.lepp.cornell.edu/lepp/bin/view/Computing/NewComputerForm
- If you send in a service request, we will ask you to have your supervisor fill out the form, and request the CAM approve the WBS for the purchase.
- Please also realize there is almost always a queue for new computers, and the ETA for a new computer varies with the task and specific hardware needs. The form has links at the top giving general timescales for typical computer deployments.
- We've added some new points to help get service requests resolved quickly here: https://wiki.lepp.cornell.edu/lepp/bin/view/Computing/ServiceRequestTips
- If you've discussed a service request with your supervisor or other relevant people, please let the computer group know that you have done so in the initial request. Please also CC them in the initial request. If you've CCed anyone, let the computer group know in the initial request.
- Just CCing someone does not meet WBS expenditure approval requirements. They'll need to reply to the ticket so we have the approval in writing, or they may need to approve a separate PO-REQ that we submit.
- More detail and examples are at https://wiki.lepp.cornell.edu/lepp/bin/view/Computing/ServiceRequestTips
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.