January 5, 2012
Scientific Linux 6
As LEPP continues the migration from 64-bit SL5 to 64-bit SL6, two farm nodes (lnx301 and lnx302) are now running SL6. In addition, LNX6212 is available remotely as a public SL6 system, and lnx4200 is running SL6 in the Wilson Public Terminal Room.
During this transition period, please be mindful of what code you build where. The best way to ensure you are building on an appropriate system is to use any central servers that are dedicated as build nodes for your project.
Additional information will be sent as this transition progresses. For initial notes on SL6 and transitioning to 64-bit, please see:
For help finding which computer is appropriate for your use, please see:
For help using our Grid Engine batch queuing system, please see:
On Tuesday January 10 starting at 10am, LEPP's Invenio installation will be updated to v0.99.4. During this time, all services running on edms will be unavailable. This includes our DocumentDatabase
) and Indico ConferenceManagement
For information on this upgrade to Invenio, please see http://invenio-software.org/blog/invenio-0.99.4
Free "Office" training
CIT Training Services is offering several Office Productivity NO FEE workshops this Winter. For details, see http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3612
Windows 7 and CLASSE migration is underway
Reminder: The LEPP migration to Windows 7 and to the CLASSE "Active Directory" domain is underway.
Windows 7 Migration Status
- A terminal in the public workstation facility W314 is now running Windows 7. You will need a CLASSE account to use it: Windows 7 does not supoort the ancient LNSNTCAD type of domain.
- All new Windows Computers deployments are now Windows 7
- Re-used Windows Computer deployments will be running Windows 7 whenever possible.
- Windows XP will only be deployed when there are technical needs which require it. Cornell's central IT organization will be ending their support for Windows XP during the next few months, during Q1 of 2012. Microsoft is ending support for XP in April, 2014.
- The LEPP Computer Group is working with individuals and groups to update computers from XP to Windows 7 where that is appropriate. You will be contacted individually with more information if your computer needs to be updated.
CLASSE Windows Domain Migration
Migration of XP computers from the old LNSNTCAD NT domain to the new CLASSE Active Directory domain is also underway. NT-style domains are no longer supported by Microsoft.
The LEPP Computer group will be contacting individual users as appropriate with detailed information regarding this migration. All LEPP Windows 7 computers are already CLASSE domain members. Windows XP computers can be migrated to the CLASSE domain.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.