March 28th, 2011
Newman Lab power outages
Power will be shut off to parts of Newman Lab the first four evenings this week; shutdowns start at 6 PM and last for an unspecified length of time.
| Start Date/Time
|| Core, Areas Affected
| Monday 3/28
|| Core 3, which includes panels L-SB, L-B, L-1, L-2, L-3, and L-PH
|| Fire Alarm panel, sprinkler alarms, duct detectors, all lighting and almost all receptacles will be unpowered
| Tuesday 3/29
|| Core 4: includes panels in rooms B25, 123, 127, 223, 227, 323 and 327
|| Computer wired and wireless networks will NOT be available in any part of Newman Lab
| Wednesday 3/30
|| Core 5: includes panels in rooms B29, B33, 130, 133, 229, 233, 329B, and 4th floor offices
| Thursday 3/30
|| panels PS-9 in room B34, PB-15 in room G30A, and panels JWS1 and G33 in room G33
The Computer Group recommends logging off and optionally shutting down your computer before you leave Monday, and any other day power will be shut off in one of your work areas.
Windows 7 and CLASSE domain Automatic Updates
- Windows updates will be applied on Monday morning at 3AM to most Windows 7 and XP computers which are in the CLASSE domain. The computers will automatically reboot 15 minutes after the updates have been applied if a reboot is necessary. Users who are logged in will be given a 5 minute notice to close programs before the reboot is done.
- CESR control system computers in the CLASSE domain are currently scheduled to be updated at 9AM on Tuesdays.
- ERL control system computers in the CLASSE domain are currently scheduled to be updated at 3AM on Mondays.
CLASSE Domain Updates on Tuesday
- We will be applying Windows Updates to CLASSE domain servers every Tuesday morning between 10AM and Noon. We do not expect that there will be user impact for CLASSE logins. There may be a short down for WinApp (the Windows Terminal Server) during that time. You will be notified if you are logged in on it, and be able to log back in several minutes later.
- More information about WinApp is available at
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.