Network, Computer and Power Outages at Wilson Lab: May 21 & May 22, 2004
Some LEPP computers will be unusable starting at 6AM on Friday, May 21. All LEPP computers will be unusable starting at 6AM on Saturday, May 22. This is because power will be off at Wilson Lab on Friday, May 21st, and on Saturday, May 22nd, 2004.
Power (US1) will be off in the LEPP and CLEO trailers on Friday:
- Backups won't run: copy any critical files that you create or modify on Thursday or Friday.
- "Farm" systems will be unavailable until Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
Power (US2) will be off in Wilson Lab's main building on Saturday:
- Most systems won't be available until Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
- The network will be down starting at 6AM on Saturday. There will be no connection to the outside world from any system in Newman, Wilson or the trailers until Saturday evening.
- Only "critical" systems will be brought up Saturday evening, probably after 7PM. Critical systems include CESR and CLEO online systems plus central servers like LNS101, PC50, and mail and Web servers.
- Mail will be held on the originating systems.
- Backups won't run
- "Farm" systems will be down
- Desktop systems will not work properly: whether PC or Unix (Linux, Solaris and Tru64)
- No Videoconferencing
- No CLEO online systems
- No Calibration constants
- End all of your editing sessions and logout before going home on Thursday and Friday. Spend time with family and friends on Saturday.
- People with laptops who will be on campus on Saturday and who need network access should use Cornell's Red Rover service. See http://www.cit.cornell.edu/redrover/
- There is no need for you to turn off any systems. We will be shutting systems down appropriately.
- Make sure that all batch jobs, including those running on the various compute farms in the CLEO and LEPP trailers, will complete before Friday morning. The batch queues for the compute farms will be down from Thursday evening until late Monday afternoon at the earliest.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact any member of the LEPP computer group or send e-mail to service.